Student Health Insurance Information
STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE REQUIREMENT
2015-2016 ACADEMIC YEAR
Siena College realizes the importance of a student’s ability to pay for medical expenses when they arise so that the educational opportunity at Siena College is not jeopardized. Accordingly, all full-time Siena College students are required to have health insurance.
· Full Time Students: Full time Siena students (undergraduate and graduate) must complete the on line decision form regarding the Student Health Plan offered by Siena by the deadline as outlined below or they will be automatically enrolled and billed. Please note: This is in addition to having provided your health insurance information to Health Services on the Health Form. The on-line form will be available beginning June 1, 2015 at http://www2.siena.edu/pages/9564.asp.
· Part Time Students: Part time students are not required to provide proof of insurance (they should not complete the on-line decision form, which is only for students enrolled full time) but may also take advantage of a separate plan directly with CDPHP. **If you are a Part time student you may voluntarily enroll through the CDPHP website and pay CDPHP direct.
FULL TIME STUDENTS ARE AUTOMATICALLY ENROLLED AND BILLED: THEY MUST COMPLETE A WAIVER/ON-LINE DECISION FORM TO OPT OUT OF THE PLAN
· What if you already have insurance and do not need/want the Siena Student Health Insurance Plan?
· Students who currently have health insurance must complete the waiver portion of the on-line decision form to opt out of the College sponsored plan. This must be done in addition to the information you supplied on your Student Health Form.
· Whether you want to waive or enroll, all full time Siena College students are asked to complete the on-line decision form regarding health insurance coverage at.
o Please have a copy of your current insurance card handy as you will need that information to complete the waivers if you are declining the plan.
o Please follow the directions on the form. If you have any questions, please email Obermayer@siena.edu or call 518-783-2421.
o Once the process has been completed, if you completed the form after tuition bills were generated for the semester, you should see a “health insurance waiver” on your account to offset the insurance charge. Your student account statement will reflect this change within two weeks of submitting the waiver.
o The waiver process must be done once every year prior to the start of the first semester of attendance each academic year. If you process a waiver in the Fall Semester you will not need to complete another waiver for the Spring Semester.
· Deadlines to complete the waiver:
o September 20, 2015 for students enrolling in the fall semester.
o January 30, 2016 for students beginning in the spring semester.
· Please note: students who do not process the waiver information will be automatically enrolled and billed on their student account statement.
STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN PROVIDER
· Siena College contracted with CDPHP (Capital District Physicians Health Plan) to provide a Student Health Plan for students for the 2015-16 academic year.
· CDPHP is locally based with a national network. When reviewing insurance carrier options, other colleges utilizing CDPHP had only the highest regard for CDPHP’s plan for students and the coverage students receive. CDPHP provides excellent coverage.
· The CDPHP Student Health Plan the College offers is a very comprehensive insurance policy. This plan covers the student from August 15, 2014 - August 14, 2015 both on and off campus with worldwide coverage and includes prescription drugs (provided the student is enrolled full time for at least 12 credit hours, for both fall and spring semesters).
· Information on the plan benefits and the full policy is available http://www.cdphp.com/Siena.
· If you have insurance already and are planning to waive the Siena Student Health Plan, please check to see if your current insurance will cover lab work at St. Peter’s Hospital Bender Laboratory, 315 S. Manning Blvd, Albany, NY 12208. TAX ID# 14-1348692 – that is the only lab utilized by the Siena College Health Service for lab work they order for student patients. If your current insurance doesn’t cover this lab, you will be charged directly for the work.
· For students enrolled for the entire year:
o The cost for the health plan is $1,275.84 for the plan year of August 15, 2015-August 14, 2016 and is placed on the student’s account.
o Students who have not completed the waiver portion of the on-line form by the deadline of September 20, 2015 (for those students enrolled for the fall semester) will be automatically enrolled and billed for the insurance plan.
o The annual premium of $1,275.84 is billed in two installments, half each semester. The first installment ($637.92) is placed on the bill for the fall semester tuition. The second installment ($637.92) is placed on the spring tuition bill.
· For students enrolled in the fall 2015 semester who do not re-enroll as a full time student for the spring 2016 semester:
o These students will be billed on their fall tuition bill for the first half of the plan ($637.92) and the student will be covered from August 15, 2015- February 14, 2016. Coverage is terminated as of February 14, 2016 unless the student is reenrolled as a full time student for the spring 2016 semester.
o The cost of the coverage for the fall of $637.92 is placed on the student’s account unless s/he completes the on-line decision form by the deadline of September 20, 2015.
· For students whose first semester full time for the 2015-16 academic year will be the spring 2016 semester:
o Students enrolling in the spring will have insurance coverage from January 1, 2015-August 14, 2015.
o The cost of the coverage for the spring semester premium of $744.24 will be placed on the student’s account unless s/he completes the on-line decision form by the deadline of February 30, 2016.
WHAT IF YOU NEED HEALTH INSURANCE AFTER THE START OF THE YEAR? CHANGES IN HEALTH INSURANCE STATUS (MID-YEAR ENROLLMENT)
· If a student or parent under whose plan they are covered, has a qualifying event (e.g., age out of coverage eligibility; change in employment, divorce, etc.) the student may be eligible to enroll in the Siena Student Health Plan with CDPHP on a pro-rata basis. Verification of the qualifying event/termination of existing coverage may be required. For further information, please contact Jeanne Obermayer, Student Life Compliance Officer, via email at Obermayer@siena.edu.
CDC Health News
Updated:9/3/2015 6:52:53 AM