Direct Parent PLUS Denial Information
If your parent is denied for a Direct Parent PLUS loan, you have three options that you may pursue.
1. The student may receive additional Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loan funds. Freshmen and sophomores are eligible for up to $4,000 in additional funds and juniors and seniors are eligible for up to $5,000 in additional fund.
To accept their additional Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loans, the student must:
- Email the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and state you would like to receive additional Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loans funds based on the PLUS denial.
- Once the Financial Aid Office confirms that your Direct PLUS loan was denied, the loan will be added to your account.
If the student decides to pursue this option, they will not be eligible for a Direct PLUS loan this school year.
2. Appeal your credit decision with the U.S. Department of Education if you believe there was an error on your credit report.
You may pursue this option by calling 1-800-557-7394 (Federal Loan Origination Center) OR online by doing the following:
- Login to www.studentloans.gov using the parent borrower’s information (SSN & FAFSA PIN) or call 1-800-557-7394 (Federal Loan Origination Center).
- Select the Appeal Credit Decision link under the PLUS Loan Process section on the left side menu.
- Follow the instructions provided to complete the appeal process. After completing your appeal online, you should receive a call from a representative at the Federal Loan Origination Center within 3 business days to discuss your appeal. If you do not receive a call, you may contact the Federal Loan Origination Center at 1-800-557-7394 to discuss the status of your appeal.
3. Reapply with an endorser (co-signer) at www.studentloans.gov.
To apply for an endorser (co-signer):
- Login to www.studentloans.gov using the borrower’s information (SSN & FAFSA PIN).
- Select the Endorse PLUS Loan link under the PLUS Loan Process section on the left side menu.
- Follow the instructions provided to complete the endorser process. You will need your Loan Reference Number to complete the endorser process. This number was provided during your orginal credit check. If you do not have your number, you may contact the Federal Loan Origination Center at 1-800-557-7394.