Federal Loan Exit Counseling


Federal exit counseling is required for all Stafford loan borrowers before the student graduates from Siena College. The exit counseling requirement is added to the student’s account during their final semester.

Students that withdraw from the college or drop below half-time enrollment are also required to complete federal exit counseling. The exit counseling requirement is added to the student’s account after the student has withdrawn or dropped below half-time status. Please refer to the EXIT Counseling Guide for more detailed informaiton.

 Completing Your Federal Stafford Exit Counseling

You will need your Federal PIN (personal identification number) to complete Exit Counseling. If you have lost your PIN, you may apply for another PIN at www.pin.ed.gov . The Exit Counseling Requirement is completed online on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at www.nslds.ed.gov.
To complete your Stafford Exit Counseling, follow the instructions provided below:
  • Visit www.nslds.ed.gov

  • Select the “Exit Counseling” box

  • Follow the instructions to the log in page

  • Log in using the student’s SSN, Date of Birth and Federal PIN

  • Follow the step by step instructions provided on the website and be sure to submit your Exit Counseling once you are finished

Your Federal Stafford Loans for attendance at Siena College may be held and serviced by different organizations, as listed below, depending upon the years you received them. You will be able to review your loan history and the contact information for your loan servicer(s) on NSLDS as well as complete Exit Counseling. 

If you have any questions concerning your balance due or payment terms for your Federal Stafford Loan(s), please contact your loan servicer(s) directly at the addresses listed for them on your NSLDS loan history.
Please Note:  Federal regulations passed in 2008 allow lenders to sell federal loans from the 2008-09 and 2009-10 academic years to the Department of Education. If this happens to your loans, you will receive a notice telling you that loans from those years have been "put" to the Department of Education and the name and contact information for the new servicer will be listed. The servicer for each of your federal loans is provided on www.NSLDS.gov.

Federal Perkins Loan Exit Counseling

If you borrowed a Federal Perkins Loan and are no longer enrolled at least half-time at Siena College, you must complete federally mandated exit counseling. This is a federal regulation and applies to all students who have graduated, officially withdrawn, dropped below half-time enrollment or transferred to another institution.
NOTE:  The exit counseling required for the Perkins loan is separate from the exit counseling required for Federal Stafford loans. 
To complete your Perkins Exit Counseling, follow the instructions provided below:
  • Visit http://www.mappingyourfuture.org/oslc
  • Select the “Perkins Exit” link under the Exit Counseling section
  • Select “New York” from the first drop down option
  • Once at the next page, select “Siena College – Loudonville, NY” from the drop down option
  • Follow the step by step instructions provided and be sure to submit your Exit Counseling once you are finished
Once your Perkins exit counseling has been submitted, the Financial Aid Office will be notified. If you have questions about your exit counseling, you may email aid@siena.edu