Registration FAQ

SID/PIN numbers

Your User ID is your student identification number (SID). The first time you login to Self-Service you will set your own PIN. Your PIN must be eight characters long. If you forget your PIN, enter your SID and click the "Forgot PIN?" button and you will be guided through a process where you can reset your PIN. You can only attempt to login five times before your PIN is deactivated. If this happens you have to have it reset by the ITS Help Desk at 518-786-5000.

Alternate PINs

An alternate PIN is required to access the page where you actually register. You must meet with your advisor to get your Alternate PIN.

CAPP Audits

Go to this page: Get CAPP. You can either watch a short tutorial or download and print out the instructions.


Web for Students requires Netscape 4.08 or higher, Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, or an equivalent version of some other browser. Also, your browser will need to accept cookies. When you log in, Web for Students assigns you a temporary cookie. Cache cookies are stored only in memory and are not written to your hard drive. Each time you access a page (view a menu page, view your schedule, search for a class, add a class, view your fees, etc.), the system verifies that your cache session ID matches a server session ID that is authorized to perform that transaction. When you exit from Web for Students or timeout, the cache cookie is destroyed. The next time you log in, a new session ID number is created. Go to your browser preferences and turn on cookies. (Netscape: Edit, Preferences, Advanced, then click on Accept All Cookies. Internet Explorer: Tools, Internet Options, Security tab, and set level to Medium.) Some users have reported not being able to access Web for Students if they use some ad-blocking software (such as Norton Ad Blocker). So if you cannot access the registration site, turn ad blocking off. Also, some Internet Service Providers (ISP) have web browsers that do not successfully access Web for Students. Web for Students only allows each user one concurrent login. AOL, and some other ISPs, may access Web for Students in a way that is interpreted as a second log in and all sessions are logged off. Do not use the AOL built-in web browser. AOL users may successfully log in if Internet Explorer or Netscape is launched after connecting to AOL. If you are at a company or school that has a restricted firewall, you may not be able to access Web for Students. If you are behind a firewall, contact your system administrator.
As long as you close the browser when you are finished and as long as you do not share your login information with others, the only person that can see your student records is you!

How do I register for a course listed as ‘By Permission’?

You must contact the appropriate individual (usually the instructor) to get a signed permission form. If you are able to get permission before your designated registration time, bring your completed permission form to your School Office for processing, then register for the section with your other courses. If you get permission after your registration time, bring the permission form to your School Office for processing.

If I do not have print capability how can I get a hardcopy of my schedule?

You can either stop in to your School Office or the Registrar’s Office to get a copy of your schedule.

Error Messages and Possible Actions

  • CLOSED: There are no seats available for the section requested.
  • CLASS RESTRICTION: Registration is based on a student’s class year, which is based on how many credits you have completed.. This error instructs you that only persons of a particular class year may register for this course. See your School Office (e.g. Business, Arts, Science) to request an exception to the restriction.
  • DUPLICATE CRN: You have added the same course/CRN twice. You may go back and search for other courses. The duplicate courses will be deleted from the "Registration Errors" section automatically.
  • INSTRUCTOR'S PERMISSION REQUIRED: You cannot register online for a restricted course. If you receive the instructor’s permission (i.e., signature) to register for the course, bring your permission form (with signature) to the appropriate School Office (e.g. Business, Arts, Science) to be allowed to register for the course.
  • LINK ERROR (A1 or L1) REQUIRED: You have selected a lecture that requires a specific lab section or vice versa. One may not be taken without the other. Please check the registration page for more information. Add the course again with a lab section. Remember to submit the CRNs simultaneously.
  • MAJOR RESTRICTION: This error instructs you that only persons of a particular major may register for this course.
  • MAXIMUM HOURS EXCEEDED: You cannot register for more than 19 credits during registration. Students wishing register for more than 19 credits must receive permission from the Vice President for Academic Affairs Office.
  • PRE-REQ AND TEST SCORE ERROR: Registration is based on one or more prerequisites that you have not fulfilled. The system does not count courses taken at the same time. Refer to the registration page for pre-requisite information. Contact your School Office (e.g. Business, Arts, Science) with any additional questions you may have.
  • REPEAT COUNT EXCEEDS 0: If you have already taken a course and would like to repeat it (even if you dropped it with a grade), Contact your School Office (e.g. Business, Arts, Science) to register for the course.
  • TIME CONFLICT WITH (CRN): Either select another course or, if you prefer this course to the course with which it conflicts, change the "Action" of the registered course (the first column in the Current Schedule section) from "None" to "Drop/Delete" by using the pull-down menu. Then re-enter the CRN of the course you want in the "Add Class" section, and "Submit Changes."
  • CLOSED SECTION- X: You have registered for a class that is cross-listed and is closed as a result of the combined enrollment in the two sections.
  • RESTRICTED COURSES: Restricted courses include those in which enrollment is limited to certain class years or majors and courses that require the instructor’s signature. Course restrictions cannot be overridden on the web by anyone. You must have them approved by the School Office that the class belongs to. Only the School Office can remove the restriction so you can register for that particular class

Need More Help?

If you have any other questions or experience problems while registering using Web for Students, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (518) 783-2312 or (518) 783-2310. You can also reach us by email at  The Registrar’s Office is open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm