Siena Hall, 201-D
515 Loudon Road
Loudonville, New York 12211
Phone: (518) 783-2302
Facsimile: (518) 782-6783
Guidelines on Interacting with Minors on Campus
- Two Adult Rule - Avoid situations in which you are alone with a child. When it is necessary to speak privately with a child, find a place within sight of others for your conference. This includes not transporting youngsters alone in your car.
- The privacy of children in situations such as toileting, showering and changing clothes should be respected. When it is necessary to supervise children in these situations, at least two adults should be present and intrude only to the extent that the health and safety of the children require. Adult volunteers should preserve their own privacy in these situations also.
- Avoid touching areas that are normally covered by swimming suits: breasts, buttocks, and groin. When hugging is appropriate, hug from the side over the shoulders, not from the front.
- Sexual jokes, comments of a sexual nature, kissing, sensual massages or sexual gestures are not appropriate behavior for an adult staff member or volunteer.
- When volunteering to supervise overnight activities, adults should not share sleeping quarters with children other than their own.
- Revealing personal information about one's sex life by an adult volunteer or staff member is never appropriate.
- Constructive discipline – Discipline used should be constructive. Do not use corporal punishment in any form — spanking, slapping, hitting, etc.
- Cameras, imaging and digital devices – While most use cameras and other imaging devices responsibly, it has been very easy to invade the privacy of individuals. It is inappropriate to use any device capable of recording and transmitting visual images in shower areas, restrooms, or other areas where privacy is expected by participants.
- Hazing Prohibited – Physical hazing and initiations are prohibited and may not be included as part of any activity.
- Bullying Prohibited – Verbal, physical, and cyber bullying are prohibited.