Reporting on Campus

Get the support you deserve.  We are here to help.
Reporting to on-campus personnel helps to ensure that a survivor of sexual violence, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking is aware of all the resources available, both on and off campus. If you contact your Resident Assistant or Resident Director, he or she will be able to assist you with the reporting process. You may also directly contact any of the Siena offices listed here, and an administrator will offer you support and explain the resources that are available to support you and ensure your safety. 

What you can expect when you meet with a Siena College administrator:
  • We will treat you with cae and support.
  • We will connect you to services that can help you through this difficult time.
  • We will help you decide what action you want to take, if any.
Anonymous and Confidential Reporting: Sexual violence, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking can be difficult to discuss and many survivors desire confidentiality while seeking support. The College appreciates this need and will make every reasonable effort to preserve an individual’s privacy and protect the confidentiality of information.
The degree, to which confidentiality can be protected, however, depends upon the professional role of the person being consulted and upon the circumstances involved.
The only way to make a truly anonymous report of an incident of sexual violence, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking is to fill out the anonymous online crime tip form or call the Public Safety Office and offer no self-identifying information. Please be advised that, if you report an incident in this manner and provide any identifying details including names, locations, or details of the incident, this will be considered a report and the College will investigate the report. 
Sometimes, students want to talk about an incident with a College Official who can explain reporting and support options but will not share the conversation with anyone else. There are two places on campus where a student can do this: the Counseling Center and the Chaplain’s office. A student can speak with a Counselor working in the Counseling Center or the College Chaplain, and be assured that his or her information will not be shared with anyone else, without the student’s permission.
If a student discloses an incident to another College Official ( RD, RA, Public Safety official, Associate/Dean of Students, Director of the Bowman Center, Title IX Coordinator, etc.), that person will take care to protect the student’s privacy, and may share information only with other professional staff who have a legitimate need to be informed about the incident.
When a report of sexual violence, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking is received, the College must list the incident for the campus security report because of federal reporting requirements; no names are listed in this report.
If a student chooses to file a formal complaint through the Human Rights Process, he or she may request to go through this process anonymously, meaning that his or her name will be kept off the statements. The College ensures, to the extent practicable, that it will maintain anonymity of the parties and will only disclose information on a need to know basis.
The College will make every effort to maintain confidentiality and anonymity of the survivor, yet it cannot be guaranteed. A request by a survivor for anonymity and confidentiality will be weighed against the seriousness of the alleged harassment; past complaints against the individual; and the alleged harasser’s rights to receive information about the allegations. Considering the best interest of the College community, the Title IX Coordinator or Designated Official may proceed with an investigation without obtaining consent from the potential complainant.
The College will not inform a student’s parents of an incident, unless the student wants them informed or there is a medical emergency.

What if I am not sure if I want to report an incidence?

A survivor can speak with the Dean of Students, or designee, Title IX Coordinator, or the Chair of the Human Rights Committee. You can explore your options and learn about the conduct and human rights process. You can ask questions and speak in hypothetical terms to gain information about what the process is like and what could be expected. However, once any identifying information is revealed about an incidence of sexual violence, like the name of the person and details about what happened, then the College can act on the information you provide.