Campus Notice: Most College offices will be closed beginning Monday, December 22 and will reopen on Monday, January 5. [ Get More Info ... ]


Contact Information

  • Academic Affairs
    Siena Hall 219
    Tel. (518) 783-2307
    Fax (518) 786-5013

Leave of Absence and Withdrawal from the College

Leave of Absence and Withdrawal Process

Information for Students

Students who are not returning to Siena College are required to complete a “Leave of Absence and Withdrawal” form.  It is the student’s responsibility to obtain and complete this form. In some instances – academic or disciplinary dismissal - this form will be completed by a designated college official.

Because the decision to take a leave of absence or to withdraw from Siena has far reaching ramifications, we encourage you to consult widely with campus resources.  Discuss your options with your academic advisor, counselor, School Dean, Residence Director, Friar in Residence, your parents or other family members, to determine if a withdrawal or leave is the appropriate course of action.  It is our hope that whatever decision you make it is in the best interest of your educational goals. 

Leave of Absence from the College

If you are not returning next semester, but plan to return for a future semester, this is a leave of absence. If you are taking a planned leave of absence from the College:

Arrange a meeting with either the Academic Advising and Support Office (Siena Hall 215) or the Office of Student Affairs (SSU 302) to discuss your leave and any plans to return.  The purpose of this meeting is to discuss your options and to ensure you have accurate information about the process. In some cases, based on the information shared, students may be required to meet with both administrators. 

Withdrawal from the College

Once you have determined that a withdrawal is appropriate:

Schedule an appointment with Dr. Peter Ellard, Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs or Holly Cheverton in the Academic Support and Advising Office, Siena 215.                                                                                                                     Or

·        Schedule an appointment with Sr. Sue Dunn, OP, Ed.D., Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs or Dean John Felio in the Office of Student Affairs, SSU 302.

This meeting is necessary in order to avoid receiving failing grades in your classes and/or to ensure appropriate adjustment to your student account.  Accordingly, please do not make plans to depart from campus until you have scheduled and attended this appointment. In some cases, based on the information shared, students may be required to meet with both administrators.

Leave or Withdrawals between Terms or During the Summer

Students who decide to take a leave of absence or to withdraw during periods where classes are not in session should begin the process by contacting the Registrar’s Office, 518 783-2310 and requesting that a “Leave of Absence and Withdrawal” form be sent to you.  You will then be contacted by a college official to discuss your future plans.  The form can be faxed to 518-786-5060 or mailed to Registrar Office, Siena College, 515 Loudon Road, Loudonville, NY 12211-1462.

Administrative Withdrawal or Academic Dismissal from the College or Other

In the case of either an Administrative Withdrawal or Academic Dismissal from the College, the appropriate College official will fill out the form for you unless you have been instructed to file this form.     

 Print out of this note

Leave of Absence or Withdrawal Form