Withdrawing from a Class

Processes Governing the Withdrawal from Classes  

Several of you have asked,  so here are some important notes on the process governing withdrawing from a class:

The last day to drop a course with a 'W' is
 Nov 6th 2015.   If you are in trouble, you should:

·        Talk to your professor to get a clear picture of where you stand and what can be done to move forward

·        Adjust the rest of your life to allow more time for more and better studying.http://www2.siena.edu/pages/2243.asp

·        Seek tutoring – www2.siena.edu/tutoring  and use the Writing Centerhttp://www2.siena.edu/writingcenter


Please note the following:


·        A "W" does not count in your GPA and you do not earn the credits

·        You can withdraw from a class on your own by using Web for Students until March 6th   - though it is also good to talk to  an advisor before you do this

·        If there is a "Hold" on your account preventing withdrawal, let us know and we can do it for you

·        You can withdraw from as many classes as you need to – chat with me if you are dropping more than one.

·        At this point in the semester if you drop below 12 credits:

There is 
no problem with losing housing on campus, unless you have been told otherwise by Residential Life 

There is no problem with Federal or Siena aid.

There is no problem with health insuranceUnder the new federal law all dependent children continue to be covered under the parents health insurance  until age 26 regardless of enrollment status.

There is no problem with NYS TAP Award – if you get this – for this semester.

There could be a problem with NYS TAP for next semester – it depends on how many semesters you have had the award. Ask me if you are not sure.

There could be an effect on your ability to hold Work  Study job for the rest ofthis semester.

You will technically be part time for two months if you drop below 12 credits, but, in most cases that it not a problem. If you are an athlete, talk to Gail Picillo, before you drop courses. If you are a HEOP student, check with your counselor before you drop courses.  If you are in ROTC, check with your ROTC advisor.

You are still able to withdraw from a class after March 6th
, but after that date,  you will receive a grade of "WF" (Withdrawing while failing) or "WP" (Withdrawing while passing). Neither of these has an effect on your GPA. You will not earn the credit, but you'll still lose it with an F or a U.  A “WP” certainly looks better.

Dec 1st   2015  is the last day to withdraw from a class with a WP or WF.


The Pass/Fail Option

March 6th 2015  is the last day to declare a class Pass/Fail. The Pass/Fail option is designed to encourage you to take courses outside of your major fields. You may select one course P/F per semester. This option may NOT be applied to a course in your major, minor, auxiliary for the major, college core, or common business core unless you have already satisfied – on your CAPP report - that area of the core/major/minor with another graded course. Therefore, you may only P/F a course that is an elective.  A "D-" is a passing grade. You must declare the pass/fail option in the Office of the Registrar.

You have questions?  We have answers.  Siena Hall 215 Follow us on Facebooks  - Siena Student Success and for access to succinct and helpful academic information, follow me on twitter @DrEllardSays