• Siena College
    Office of Human Resources
    Trustco Bank Center, Room 120
    504 Loudon Road
    Loudonville, New York 12211

    Phone: (518) 783-2420
    Fax: (518) 783-4228
    Email: humanresources@siena.edu

    Please contact ttryon@siena.edu for questions regarding this page.


Employment of Foreign Nationals

The College will sponsor and prepare petitions with the U.S. Citizenship and
Immigration Services Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security
(“USCIS”) for foreign nationals to obtain H-1B status in the United States, which
will allow them to work at the College for a specified period of time. Only
specialty occupations will qualify for H-1B status under applicable federal law.
Furthermore, the federal government imposes certain wage restrictions which the
College may not be able to meet in all cases. Accordingly, whether the College
will sponsor the H-1B status for a particular position will be determined on a
case-by-case basis.

The College will coordinate H-1B petitions, along with petitions needed for the
foreign national’s family members. The College will pay for all required H-1B
filing fees and applicable legal fees, except those relating to the foreign national’s
family members’ petitions.

The College will also sponsor eligible foreign nationals in their petitions for
permanent residency. Please note that not all employees will be considered
eligible for sponsorship. Whether an employee is eligible for sponsorship will be
determined by the Vice President overseeing the area in which the employee
works. The College will not prepare these petitions, but will maintain a list of
qualified attorneys, who can assist the individual foreign national. All legal fees
and other related costs in filing a petition for permanent residency, except for
those relating to the required labor certification, will be borne by the foreign
national. The College will pay for all costs and fees, including legal fees, related
to the required labor certification application, which is filed with the U.S.
Department of Labor.

All foreign nationals, who do not have permanent residency status at the time of
their initial appointment, should contact the Office of Human Resources soon
after receiving their appointment letters to ensure they receive the necessary
employment authorization from USCIS prior to their actual employment at the
College. In addition, faculty members with classroom teaching duties should
contact the Office of Human Resources within 12 months of being offered the
position to make certain that there is sufficient time to prepare and file a labor
certification case, should they be eligible for sponsorship.

Revised April 2013