AmeriCorps Term Suspension and Reinstatement
SUSPENSION FORM >>
REINSTATEMENT FORM >>
Members wishing to suspend should contact the AmeriCorps Administrator AT LEAST 15 days before the desired suspension date.
Members wishing to re-instate should contact the AmeriCorps Administrator AT LEAST 15 days before the desired re-enrollment date. The member must also provide proper documentation if he/she has been suspended for more than 30 days.
- Unexpired Government Issued Photo ID *AND*
- Birth Certificate
- Unexpired US Passport
A member is eligible to suspend from his/her AmeriCorps term if the member demonstrates and provides proof of:
- The Member has a serious injury or illness that makes completing the term impossible;
- there is a serious injury, illness or death of an immediate family member which makes completing the term unreasonably difficult or impossible for the Member;
- the Member is required to fulfill Military Service obligations;
- the Member has accepted an opportunity to make the transition from welfare to work; or
- some other unforeseeable circumstance beyond the Member’s control makes it impossible or unreasonably difficult for the Member to complete the term of service, such as a natural disaster, a strike, relocation of a spouse, or the non-renewal or premature closing of a project or the Program, and the Program deems the circumstance to be compelling.
- The member wishes to study abroad
Compelling circumstances do NOT include leaving the Program:
- To enroll in school;
- to obtain employment, other than in moving from welfare to work; or,
- because of dissatisfaction with the Program.
Members must submit sufficient documentation of the Personal Compelling Circumstance in order to be exited with a partial award.